|SAMCRO: Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original
Outside of sports, I’m also addicted to TV. We are living in the Golden Age of TV. Originally ushered in by shows like “Oz”, “Homicide” and “The Shield”, the Golden Age of quality cable dramas on TV has included “The Sopranos”, “The Wire”, “Breaking Bad”, “Dexter”, “Homeland”, “The Walking Dead”, “Justified”, “Deadwood”, “Game of Thrones” and many other favorites. One of these favorite shows for people is Kurt Sutter’s Sons of Anarchy.
Sutter, who cut his teeth with “The Shield”, has created a fictional series about a motorcycle gang and their daily trials and tribulations. Sutter likes to tell people it’s based off Shakespeare’s “Hamlet”, but that’s just a diversion tactic to make it seem what he has here is a work of art, where it’s nothing else but an over-dramatized cartoon western. Don’t get me wrong, at one point I enjoyed this show tremendously, but now, it’s just a parody of itself, despite how serious it tries to take itself.
I got hooked on Sons of Anarchy through DVDs. I caught seasons one and two on DVD and caught up in real-time during Season 3 through On-Demand. I enjoyed the actors, the fresh stories and the writing. As time went on, the freshness of the show got stale real quick. There are so many things that drive me nuts about this show. Now here, in no particular order, is why I think this show should go to a vote for Mayhem at the table, and be put out of its misery before the finale even has a chance to air.
REASONS THIS SHOW SUCKS TODAY:
– Jax Teller is the stupidest person on TV. From not figuring out Clay killed his father to not figuring out his mother killed his wife, Jax is the dumbest person on TV. He makes Forest Gump look like Einstein. Walter White, Jax Teller is not. Jax lacks brain power or the ability to see what is going on around him.
– How many times do we have to hear Jax say the word “family”? How many times do we have to have scenes of Jax smoking and staring into space? If you took a shot of your favorite booze every time Jax said “family” or stared off into the distance, you would be in the hospital with an IV hooked up to you before the first commercial break.
– And why at this point does anyone want to be a member of SAMCRO? All you do is get shot at all day, make no money, lose everyone you love and never get a chance to take a shit in peace. What is the benefit of joining this leather fraternity?
– The cartoon violence is so unbelievable. It’s worse than a spaghetti western movie. HOW MANY FUCKING TOWNS DO YOU KNOW WHERE THERE ARE 834838438348834 GUN FIGHTS A DAY AND NOTHING EVER HAPPENS AS A RESULT? The Land of Oz was more believable than Charming, California.
– The way this show harps on buzzwords like “the black”, “the chinks”, “the brown”, “the nazis”, “the irish” etc, who talks like this? Is this 1960 or so? California is a liberal state. Nobody talks like this at all. And why do all these nationalities need 384384383848 guns anyway? It’s not like anyone ever kills anyone in these billion gun fights a day.
– Katey Sagal singing every damn episode. It’s great that the former Peg Bundy is married to writer/director/creator Kurt Sutter, but hearing her butcher some famous song week after week is more torturous than Otto’s tenure on the program. (Sutter’s character on the show).
– Why do we need 8438438 montages a show? Leave the montages to Rocky IV. It’s hilarious and it seems like a forced way to sell songs for the SOA album. At one point in the series, it felt organic and right, now you can call them coming from a mile away.